1. Look from Thy sphere of endless day,
O God of mercy and of might!
In pity look on those who stray
Benighted in this land of light.
2. In peopled vale, in lonely glen,
In crowded mart, by stream or sea,
How many of the sons of men
Hear not the message sent from Thee!
3. Send forth Thy heralds, Lord, to call
The thoughtless young, the hardened old,
A scattered, homeless flock, till all
Be gathered to Thy peaceful fold.
4. Send them Thy mighty Word to speak
Till faith shall dawn and doubt depart,
To awe the bold, to stay the weak,
And bind and heal the broken heart.
5. Then all these wastes, a dreary scene
That makes us sadden as we gaze,
Shall grow with living waters green
And lift to heaven the voice of praise.
The Lutheran Hymnal
Text: Isaiah 35
Author: William C. Bryant, 1840
Composer: George J. Elvey, 1862
Tune: "St. Crispin"