1. O God of mercy, God of might,
In love and pity infinite,
Teach us, as ever, in Thy sight,
To live our life to Thee.
2. And Thou, who cam'st on earth to die
That fallen man might live thereby,
Oh, hear us; for to Thee we cry,
In hope, O Lord, to Thee.
3. Teach us the lesson Thou hast taught,
To feel for those Thy blood hath bought
That every word and deed and thought
May work a work for Thee.
4. All are redeemed, both far and wide,
Since Thou, O Lord, for all hast died.
Oh, teach us, whatsoe'er betide,
To love them all in Thee!
5. In sickness, sorrow, want, or care,
Whate'er it be, 'tis ours to share;
May we, where help is needed, there
Give help as unto Thee!
6. And may Thy Holy Spirit move
All those who live to live in love
Till Thou shalt greet in heaven above
All those who live to Thee.
The Lutheran Hymnal
Text: Luke 10: 36, 37
Author: Godfrey Thring, 1877, alt.
Composer: Samuel Howard, 1782