1. Jesus Christ, our blessed Savior,
Turned away God's wrath forever;
By His bitter grief and woe
He saved us from the evil Foe.
2. As His pledge of love undying
He, this precious food supplying,
Gives His body with the bread
And with the wine the blood He shed.
3. Whoso to this Board repaireth
May take heed how He prepareth;
For if he does not believe,
Then death for life he shall recieve.
4. Praise the Father, who from heaven
Unto us such food hath given
And, to mend what we have done,
Gave into death His only Son.
5. Thou shalt hold with faith unshaken
That this food is to be taken
By the sick who are distrest,
By hearts that long for peace and rest.
6. Christ says: "Come, all ye that labor,
And receive My grace and favor;
They who feel no want nor ill
Need no physician's help nor skill.
7. "Useless were for thee My Passion,
If thy works thy weal could fashion.
This feast is not spread for thee
If thine own Savior thou wilt be."
8. If thy heart this truth professes
And thy mouth thy sin confesses,
His dear guest thou here shalt be,
And Christ Himself shall banquet thee.
The Lutheran Hymnal
Text: Heb. 10:12
Author: John Huss, 1415, cento, asc.
Translated by: unknown
Titled: "Iesus Christus, nostra salus"
Tune: "Jesus Christus, unser Heiland"
1st Published in: Geistliche Lieder
Town: Wittenberg, 1535