1. O Lord, our Father, shall we be confounded
Who, though by trials and by woes surrounded,
On Thee alone for help are still relying,
To Thee are crying?
2. Lord, put to shame Thy foes who breathe defiance
And vainly make their might their sole reliance;
In mercy turn to us, the poor and stricken,
Our hope to quicken.
3. Be Thou our Helper and our strong Defender;
Speak to our foes and cause them to surrender.
Yea, long before their plans have been completed,
They are defeated.
4. 'Tis vain to trust in man; for Thou, Lord, only
Art the Defense and Comfort of the lonely.
With Thee to lead, the battle shall be glorious
And we victorious.
5. Thou art our Hero, all our foes subduing;
Save Thou Thy little flock they are pursuing.
We seek Thy help; for Jesus' sake be near us.
Great Helper, hear us!
The Lutheran Hymnal
Text: Ps. 22: 5
Author: Johann Heermann, 1630
Translated by: Catherine Winkworth, 1869, alt.
Titled: "Herr, unser Gott, lass nicht zuschanden werden"
Composer: Johann Crueger, 1640
Tune: "Herzliebster Jesu"