1. Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!
The strife is o'er, the battle done;
Now is the Victor's triumph won;
Now be the song of praise begun.
2. Death's mightiest powers have done their worst,
And Jesus hath His foes dispersed;
Let shouts of praise and joy outburst.
3. On the third morn He rose again
Glorious in majesty to reign;
Oh, let us swell the joyful strain!
4. He closed the yawning gates of hell;
The bars from heaven's high portals fell.
Let songs of praise His triumph tell.
5. Lord, by the stripes which wounded Thee.
From death's dread sting Thy servants free
That we may live and sing to Thee.
The Lutheran Hymnal
Text: Ps. 98:1
Author: unknown, 1695
Translated by: Francis Pott, c. 1859, alt.
Titled: "Finita iam sunt praelia"
Composer: Giovanni P. Da Palestrina, 1591, ad.