1. Christ the Lord is risen again!
Christ has broken death's strong chain!
Hark, the angels shout for joy
Singing evermore on high:
2. He who gave for us His life.
Who for us endured the strife,
Is our Paschal Lamb today.
We, too, sing for joy and say:
3. He who bore all pain and loss
Comfortless upon the cross
Lives in glory now on high,
Pleads for us and hears our cry:
4. He whose path no records tell
Hath descended into hell;
He the strong man armed hath bound
And in highest heaven is crowned.
5. He who slumbered in the grave
Is exalted now to save;
Now through Christendom it rings
That the Lamb is King of kings.
6. Now He bids us tell abroad
How the lost may be restored,
How the penitent forgiven,
How we, too, may enter heaven.
7. Thou our Paschal Lamb indeed,
Christ, today Thy people feed;
Take our sins and guilt away
That we all may sing for aye:
The Lutheran Hymnal
Text: Mark 16:6
Author: Michael Weisse, 1531
Translated by: Catherine Winkworth, 1863
Titled: "Christus ist erstanden" (Based on "Christ is erstanden")
Tune: "Christus ist erstanden"
Melody: Latin, c. 1100