2. To hail Thee, Sun of Righteousness,
The gathering nations come;
They joy as when the reapers bear
Their harvest treasures home.
3. For Thou their burden dost remove
And break the tyrant's rod
As in the day when Midian fell
Before the sword of God.
4. To us a Child of hope is born,
To us a Son is given,
And on His shoulder ever rests
All power in earth and heaven.
5. His name shall be the Prince of Peace,
The Everlasting Lord,
The Wonderful, the Counselor.
The God by all adored.
6. His righteous government and power
Shall over all extend;
On judgment and on justice based,
His reign shall have no end.
7. Lord Jesus, reign in us, we pray,
And make us Thine alone,
Who with the Father ever art
And Holy Spirit, one.
The Lutheran Hymnal
Text: Is. 9:2
Author: John Morison, 1770, alt.
Composer: Nikolaus Herman, 1554
Tune: "Lobt Gott, ihr Christen"